Monday, September 13, 2010

A Hike in Bryce with a European Flair

Today’s lead in was inspired by my “people” observations here at Bryce and Zion National Parks.  I noticed the same demographic at Yosemite.  Many (a majority in my opinion) of the visitors I spoke to and observed at all these national Parks (come to think of it at Death Valley as well) were from either Germany or France.  These were not all from Tour Groups either, and they were from all age groups.  A couple of quick examples:

A few shots of My Faithful and Obedient Companion were taken by French or German Tourists.
           
At the laundry mat (while My Faithful and Obedient Companion lounged around a local internet café drinking coffee and “blogging updates” I slaved away doing laundry!) I was approached by a French Speaking couple asking me “what is Clorox?”.  Since I failed to adequately explain I gave up and told them to just use Tide. 

At poolside here at the Best Western I overheard a nice French couple (a much younger couple than I met at the laundry mat) telling some of our Senior’s about there 16 day tour of the American West. 

Anyway it gives me joy to see Europeans exploring and enjoying the good old USA (also helps our balance of trade) and at the same time it saddens me that I see so few Americans enjoying what our country has to offer.  One last comment.  It seems to me that 15 years ago I would have seen many Japanese tourists particularly on the left coast.  I have seen very few.  Just an observation.

OK enough already on the commentary.  Our day started with a hike recommended by our old friends Lester and Jean-Joan Wurfel (amazing I jotted them a quick note yesterday asking them things to do at Bryce and Zion-Les responded almost immediately that a hike down into Bryce Canyon was something he loved on their trip 10 years ago!).  He was absolutely correct.  After some serious discussions with my Faithful and Obedient Company she overcame her aversion to heights and concerns on altitude conditioning and acquiesced to a 7:30 am hike down the Navajo Trail into Bryce Canyon.  The scenery was unbelievable and I cannot tell you enough readers that the pictures do not do it justice.  It was all outstanding.  Oh, and I got to pull out that gem I mentioned a a little over a week ago, while hiking back up a nice couple (German?) said good morning how are you doing.  I responded…..any better I would be yodeling!.


Here are some pictures from today:

 
























After we left Bryce we headed “Marched Back to Zion” for we hope two days of more spectacular hikes and scenery.  Stay tuned and until then


Adieu



3 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful pictures! I can't imagine it looking better in person because the pics are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures are incredible, you could sell some of these to National Geographic. Walking our hill here in Sausalito was a good warm-up for your hike out? Chardonny should win amongst those choices, but have you tried the Winter Creek Zin? Try stevega@ri-net.com for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have me convinced to plan our next vacation there!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete