Saturday, August 28, 2010

Across the Great Divide-Rocky Mountain National Park

Well this morning started badly, The Columbine Inn (Estes Park Co) promised a continental breakfast.  The coffee was brewed and sitting in the lobby.  Problem was the lobby was locked, and nobody around.  Nothing worse than caffeine withdraw at the crack of dawn! The only sympathy from my faithful and obedient companion-“You should have checked when you checked in” that didn’t help to ease the craving for sure.  Blair was no help either, too much Mexican food last night?  Altitude sickness (Estes Park is at 7,000 feet)?   Let me sum it up she got sick to her stomach surrounded by some of the most Alpine scenery anywhere!  We did manage to get some coffee as we left at 7:15 am.

Within minutes we were heading up to Rocky Mountain National Park, we bought a one year pass to all National Parks for 80 bucks.  It was worth it just for today’s ride on “Trail Ridge Road”.  Trail Ridge Road is the highest regularly traveled highway in North America.  Several spots are over 12,000 feet, and the Park itself has 72 peaks over 12,000 feet.  Elk, Bighorn Sheep, coyotes, yellow-bellied marmots, etc. abound. We saw elk (no picture) and bighorn sheep that we did bag with photos.














The scenery speaks for itself, here are some selected photos:









Of course no Murray Rider post could do without a geographic highlight-here is yours truly sitting literally on top of the “Great Divide”








And then a mug shot of all of us standing on the Alpine Tundra at about 12,200 feet- temperature was 46 degrees.








Well I promised a little side tidbit on memories of a trip 41 years ago with my family,  I remembered Trail Ridge Road vividly.  I remember Ethel, Susan and I standing by an alpine lake at the end of June with 3 inches of snow on the ground, and it was snowing.  I remember being amazed.  I also remember my mother in a panic as my father drove Trail Ridge Rode.  She probably felt like Blair and I did as my faithful and obedient companion ably negotiated this road which weaves across the top of the Rockies with sheer drops on either side.  Well done Barbara!


Oh but one last comment.  Yesterday I was relieved that my hedonistic ways had not impacted my memory.  My faithful and obedient companion cannot say the same.  As we approached the park she asked if I ever rode on the “cliff road” in Grand Teton NP. I told her I had been there 41 years ago as well but could not recall such a road..  About 25 minutes into our Trail Ridge road ride my faithful and obedient companion turned to me and said the cliff road I referred to earlier was this one.  Now we know who the hard partier really is!.

Adieu

4 comments:

  1. I just LOVE that you are blogging! And of course, (no thanks to TJ) I just found out about your blogging and travel adventure. I'll catch up ASAP! I hope you are better about blogging than I was... don't leave month long gaps like I did!

    Safe travels :)

    xo
    Alexa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alexa we look forward to having you along for the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are blogging too!!. Now to tell who the real partier was, I remember the lake, the park, I even remember feeding some chipmunks on a rock that came right up to us BUT....I have no recollections of the scarey road. Now I find this amazing since any road with drop offs is almost unbearable for me to ride through while Jay is driving and I am mostly sucking in air. I can only guess that I slept through it, which sounds like that may have been to my advantage. Travel safe. :-)xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Note to ERCORLEY - you probably didn't notice the drop offs since you were squeezed between your brother and grandmother!

    ReplyDelete